Monday, October 4, 2010

Day 9 Evergreen Key Chain A nice secluded place.

Today I had a few things I wanted to get done.. First off I wanted to go and get a AGT pass book from the Kane chamber of commerce. David and I are planning to try and get all 10 AGT coins. This is pretty exciting stuff. I figured I could pick up a local cache afterward. Which ever one happened to be closest to the chamber of commerce would do. Niki and Novalee opted to stay home because Novalee had come down with a bit of a cold overnight.
I geared up and walked up town to the chamber of commerce. It is a raw day today. Raining and cold. I have my winter hat under my fedora. I walk up town. Janeway St to Chase St and so forth till I am deposited onto Fraley St. I walk along Frailey until I come to the front of the old Movie Theater. It still looks like a theater but it is now a rollerskating rink. At a whim I decide to check in my friend Scott, who lives in an apartment up above the old theater. I check the mail boxes for names hoping I will see his. I do thus discovering which apartment is his. I head up and enter through traditional means. Once in his apartment. I ask him if he wants to come with me on my geocach hunt. He agrees to come with along until he realizes that it is raining. We chat a bit. Then we part company. There is much to do today. I continue on along Fraley Street until I reach the chamber of commerce. Lucky me it is open. An older woman greets me with pleasant inquiry. She has heard of geocaching. She efficiently locates two AGT stamp books. We talk about geo caching for a bit. She confides that she is surprised at how many people enjoy the hobby. “It is a great way to keep fit.” she tells me. I of course agree. Then I tell her about my blog. She is really into the idea. Our conversation comes to and end when she excuses herself and tends to tend another who has just entered the chamber of commerce. It is time for me to move on any how. I still have yet to found my cache today. Once out side I fire up my GPS. It takes a minute or so for it to find satellites. I hear a satisfying beep telling me it is ready. I search the GPS for near by caches. The closest is Evergreen Key chain cache. I read the description of the cache. Then I read the 10 most recent cache posts. It is called the key chain cache because the treasures inside consist of key chains... Brilliant. :) It looks like it will be a easy cache to find. I look at the map screen, and see that it is in the bottom portion of the Evergreen park. The cache is .3 miles away. I don't need the GPS to guide me there so I wear the gps on my chest. It is supported by a sturdy woven rope around my neck. I walk to the park. The park is well named. Many evergreen trees populate the park providing good shade covering sections of open space. This is a peaceful place. A paved path runs through it. I walk on this path. As I get close to the area where I think the geocach might be I remove the GPS from its resting place and I take a reading. I am about 200 feet away. I am close. I head in the direction that the cache is hidden. The feet are counting down as I near. I hop over a trench and enter into the trees. To my surprise there is a secluded little picnic spot I have just entered. This would be a very nice place to hang out with friends. I walk past the table and out of the forested alcove. Wow a big field opens up to me. A great place to play Frisbee. I am now within 10 feet of the cache. I begin to poke around and hunt. I quickly find the well concealed cache. I open it up and look at the key chain collection within. I then fish out the log book and log my visit. I have to take off my fedora while signing the book cause rain water is dripping off it. This was a fine cache. I do not dare spend to much time here enjoying my victory because I want to go back to yesterdays cache at Kinzua Bridge Park and stamp my new AGT book. No small feat considering that the day is growing short and I will have to go to work soon. I place the cache back in its hiding place and I walk back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment