Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Day 24 AGT-ELK- Yes, Deer! (GC176PP)

Though I am still doing 365 days of geocaching in 365 day, I've decided to go for all 10 AGT award coins. Err 11.The McKean County coin I received Monday is very impressive. Hopefully my next 54 caches will be AGT caches. AGT... so kewl! Niki even got a stamp book. She likes the coins also.
Today is over cast. I spent a good part of the morning deleting caches from the GPS, and then loading just AGT caches into it. I know I won't achieve my goals unless I plan to achieve them. So I started the planning stage. After setting myself up for success. I fired up the GPS and found that the nearest AGT cache is AGT-Elk-Yes, Deer!, by TheMom at just over 12 miles away it promises to be a piece of cake. Niki and I looked at the googles' map it feature on geocaching.com and figured out what roads to take. My Magellan eXplorist GC does not do maps well. I think if I drop a hundred bucks on map software it will be better, but who has a hundred bucks. LOL. Once we mapped our route we hopped into the van. KC Niki Novalee, and me. Novalee did not want to come. I thanked her for her input and told her we were still going. She accepts this. At least she got her grievances out.
We drive down rte 321 towards Wilcox. Once their we take Rasselass Rd. towards Elk State Fores boat launch. Along this road we found our parking space, which was less then 270 feet from the cache. We could have bush waked but we decide to take a nice wide grassy path in. This area is great. A nice mix of open spaces and wooded areas. Lots of texture filled with both new and old growth. We unhooked KC's leash and the dog sniffed around like mad. His fur stood up on end as he tracked what ever it was he was smelling. Eventually he gave up his trail and started running. Boy can he run. He does so with tongue hanging out the side of his mouth. It looks like he is going to trip over it. If it weren't so comical it would be beautiful. Him running.
Eventually it is time to go off our nice wide grassy trail. The cache is 75 feet away. The underbrush of the wood is dense. I was hopeing to find some sort of path but I did not. The GPS guided us right to the cache. I liked the way this one was hid. It was well covered in an almost natural way. The AGT stamp was not in the cache box though. Niki would have received her first stamp in her stamp book for Elk county. I would have received my second. It doen't really matter though. We will try another tomorrow, and this was a great cache.

No comments:

Post a Comment