Saturday, October 23, 2010

Day 28 AGT-Elk-East Branch Dang (GC1637H)

Day 28 is AGT-Elk- East Branch Dang placed by PaWingers, and Muck. Niki and I was heading to Walmart to pick up some supplies so we decided to hit an AGT cache on the way. East Branch Dang looked like a pretty good target. We located the parking spot near the cache with ease. We were only .4 miles away from the cache. It was near dusk when we left the van. We had plenty of time though. Or so we thought.
The GPS pointed us north east. So we walked in that direction. This was towards the boat launch. Oddly though the GPS was not counting down footage. I changed the GPS view to map and discovered we needed to be on the other side of the water. "Sigh," we headed back up the hill then towards the dam. Once on the other side of the water we came to another choice. Go up a hill and into woods to get closer to the cache, or to follow the shore to get closer to the cache. Niki headed up the hill while I helped Novalee with a potty break. I then popped Novalee on my shoulders and caught up to Niki at the top of the hill. On my way up Takoda reached out a hand and asked for help. I helped him. Once we caught up to Niki we looked into the wood. Is there a trail. We did not see one. You guys stay up here I will go back down and look along the shore for a few minutes. If the GPS indicates I'm getting closer to the cache this way, then I will call you guys down to me.
I ended up calling them down. The shore was rough though. Dusk was now in full swing. Niki and Takoda caught up to Novalee and I. “Hey it is getting late. You guys could make it back to the van before it got dark if you left now. I can move on and look for the cache and then catch up to you.” She thought this was a good idea so she headed back up to the van. I moved closer to the cache. The rocks were treacherous, and there were many of em. I did not like the walk. At the point I was no longer getting closer to the catch I bush whacked up the hill and into the woods. Yep I made a bad decision earlier. The GPS brought me pretty much right to the cache. The whole cache hunt was difficult. No paths in. We had to walk half a mile in order to walk half a mile. One big pain in the but. Night was in full bloom by the time I signed the log book. I used my flash light on the way out.

No comments:

Post a Comment