Saturday, December 11, 2010

Day 76 Civil War Vet Revisited (GC1V5Z0)

Winter geo cacheing. A different animal. The biting cold. The white ground that absorbs my every step. The icy slick ground that doesn't. The caches hidden in the best of conditions. Now hidden even better with the aid of layers of snow.
    Our first cache attempt was in the Gibs cemetery.  The cache was near a rhododendron bush. My GPS thought so anyhow. The snow was over knee high for me. It came up to Novalee's chin. KC would not go any where until I broke a path. While hunting for the cache, Niki circled the bush. I dug out a couple of grave markers. After a little bit Niki and I came to the same conclusion lets go look for different cache. We headed back to the van.
    Our second cache attempt was Civil War Vet Revisited by Pegasis. By now Novalee was getting pretty up set. She had to go to the bathroom. She had gone what seemed to me just a few minutes ago. Besides sometimes she will tell us she has to go potty to force our hand in going home. We found this out not so long ago. I was shocked. Niki was like duh! So I did not put much weight into her potty needs. I figured it would blow over.
    This was suposed to be a cache and dash. So Niki and I left Novalee and KC in the van, and began our hunt. Poor Novalee must have really had to go, cause by now she was screaming, "I got to go Potty, I got to go pee"  I ignored her with a heavy heart and ended up further and further away from the Van. Niki called out to me. "Is the cache really that far from the road" I called back, "I really don't know, Right now I'm resetting the fracken GPS."     "Ok, I'm getting Novalee then.."
    It wasn't long before I heard the jangle of KC's collar. Niki and Novalee came up to me as I was closing on the cache. Niki helped Novalee partially undress. I held Novalee in a sitting like position so she could answer natures call. Then Niki buttoned Novalee back up. In the meantime I was digging around a big rock. The GPS said I was close. The hint implied it was near a rock. I was digging. I almost gave up on this spot when my gloved hand slid off a smooth metallic surface. "I think I found it" I said. I lost it momentarily then found the cache again and dug it out. Novalee was in a much better mood now. She was being cute and she was helping me dig. Once uncovered, the cache was an ammo box. We opened it up. I signed the log book. We traded my favorite pen for a Christmas wreath tree decoration, then we headed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment