Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Day 73 Crossroads (GCQWGA)

   Wow, it is still snowing? I have discovered that finding winter caches are easy... So far. However finding a good  parking place near the cache can be daunting. Keeping this in mind I was unable to pursue the first cache I was closed in on. I drove past the cache location looking for a place where I could turn the van around. Getting stuck was not on my agenda. So I am glad I didn't. I found a nice plowed out road I could turn around at 5 miles past the my first choice. I continued on after confirming there was no place near to pull over.
    My second choice was closer to home at the cross roads in Lance Corners. I hoped there would be parking. It was my luck. There was, so the Crossroads by Biddlebeach was a good second choice. I parked and began walking. The GPS silently counted down the distance as I approached the cache. The snow was waist high in some places.  The wind here was intense, almost knocking me over. I came to within 30 feet of the cache, decided I could get closer and then approached within zero feet. I thought I was looking for a micro cache so I brushed the snow off the tree. I must have looked funny standing waist deep in snow dusting off a tree. It soon became apparent that the cache was not in the tree. I walked  further away from the tree and performed the same operation on a different tree. Nope not in that one. So I walked back to the first tree. This cache was definitely not in the tree. I started digging around the base of the tree, and there the cache was in plain sight after clearing 2.5 feet of snow off it. I signed the log book and trudged back through the snow too the much warmer van.

No comments:

Post a Comment