Sunday, November 28, 2010

Day 64 Blackberry Cache (GCT37K)

We decided on the Blackberry Cache by Pegasis this morning. I knew we weren't going to be home most of the day and I had a feeling this would be a great cache on which KC could burn a lot of energy. I was not disappointed either.
    We drove over to the parking coordinates. The morning was chili so we brought gloves for the kids. Novalee wore hers, Niki carried Takoda's in her pocket. The gps indicated that the cache was .4 of a mile in as the crow fly. We walked. KC ran. There was a fresh blanket of snow on the ground. A little more than dusting really. Enough to make everything both wet and white. We walked mostly up hill. Takoda ended up falling at some point. He was shocked that the ground was so cold. After wards he was happy to put his gloves on.  We continued on. Niki and Novalee fell behind. Takoda,, was keeping pace with me pretty well but suddenly decided he wanted to hang back with his mother, and charged back down the pretty steep hill we had just climbed. As for me I was eager to find the cache and then get on with the day. Later on we were going to ga and watch the new Disney movie Tangled in Eerie. A reward Takoda had earned for fantastic performance on his report card earlier this month. Because of this I'd walk ahead. Wait, then walk ahead again. At one point I was going to be a wise guy and call Niki's cell phone. She saw me up ahead though on my phone and decided to ignore hers... I think this would have been funny.
    Along our trek there was two points we could have bush whacked. I am glad he didn't when the first opportunity seemed to arise. However I should have when the second one arrived. When I finally decided bush whacking was a good idea we ended up charging though a thick patch of blackberries. This was a very prickly situation. I had Novalee on my shoulders.as I charged through closing on the cache. Niki tended Takoda with a mothers patience. Eventually I found a clearing set Novalee down. Asked Niki if she minded if I tried to get closer to the cache first and call them too me when I was withing a few feet of it.  This would be both easier and faster and theoretically only I should get cut up by the blackberry bushes. Once I got close to the cache they could find a safe route to me. Niki thought this was a good Idea.
    It took me about 10 minutes but I was finally on top of the cache. The gps had kept freezing on me. So I would have to restart it. Once I was this close to the cache I helped Niki and the kids get back to this spot. Then I asked the kids to hang out together while Niki and I circled the area. This is when Novalee decided she was sick of this adventure and began to cry. We let her upset run its course and started looking for the cache. Almost instantly I spotted the cache. The kids traded for items they wanted I signed the log book. Hoisted Novalee back onto my shoulders and we all headed to the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment