Sunday, November 21, 2010

Day 57 AGT- Kinzua Dam Overlook (GC167F9)

This was our third AGT Warren cache. We drove all the way to the dam before realizeing that we should have taken the Long House Drive scenic over look. Once we got back on track we were able to pretty much drive right to the cache sight. I did not realize there were such great views up here. I've been up to Jakes rocks before while looking for Rim rock. Yeah but that is another story. Last time through I missed all this wonderful scenery. The Kinzua Dam looks so small from up here. Very cool.
   Once we all piled out of the van and got our hunters orange on I let KC run. We were on a one way road and there was no traffic. That is until I KC was off the hook. Then some guy in a 40 thousand dollar sports sedan drove by going in the proper direction then again in the wrong direction. After this KC got excited. He must have seen something he tensed then barked and made to run into the bush after something. I called him back to me leashed him until we went into the woods. Niki started poking around for the cache. KC tugged his leash I dropped the GPS, then in a snappish way requested help. I am a dick sometimes and this has been a rough weekened sorta. Niki was annoyed by my snappish ness. Oops. Then Takoda decided that he needed a better view. This entailed him walking to the edge of the stone wall railing... Niki told him not to go there because of the danger of the sudden fall.  Well Takoda must have figured that if he could not go on that  side of the stone wall railing then the other side must be OK.   Sigh not such a good Idea.  So Dick Head... Me, decided to show him why we did not want him close to the edge. I grabbed his hand firmly and I brought him right to the edge and asked him if he wanted a closer look... He declined then I brought him to the other side with the same question. He declined again. Then I brought him away from the edge and explained that Mom and Dad makes rules to protect our children. I think he got the point, because after that he stayed away from the drop off. With him you got to have eyes in the back of your head. He is both quick and determined.. Both good qualities but it can give parents nightmares.
    Once we got all the dramma out of our sytem, we started towards the cache. A trail led into the woods. I unleashed KC. He went off to explore. We walked towards the cache along the trail till it ended. I popped Novalee on my shoulders and then bushwhacked out to the road. Novalee and I spotted another trail into the woods, which led us right to the cache. Niki and Takoda bushwhacked all the way. I told Niki I found it. We then told the kids we were close to cache. Niki stood right next to the cache. By now the kids really know how to take our hints. Takoda found the ammo box, the cache. I signed the log book. Niki and I took turns stamping our AGT pass books. Then I stamped the kids hands. I told Novalee it was going to hurt... She did not even flinch. To the contrary she seemed very pleased by the green ink on her hand. Then I did the same with Takoda, he began to cry. He came over I stamped his hand and he looked up with surprise. "Hey it did not hurt Novalee, so why would it hurt you?" I asked.  It is a good idea to look around and make judgements based on evidence. That was why I did Novalee first. Takoda is more gullible. Now they were both happy with their freshly stamped hands. Niki and I were happy with our AGT stamped books. We were all happy, and ready  to head back home....

No comments:

Post a Comment