Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Day 122 Haney's Jack O'Lantern Cache (GC2J261)

   Haney's Jack O' Lantern Cache by  bubbabeernut was a nice cache. This is definitely one for the kids. Unfortunately I was doing this cache solo +1. We can't forget KC can we. This would have been an easy cache and go sort of day if this had been my first cache attempt. As it was this was my third. The snow is pretty thick in this area? The caches are well hidden? My geo sense is off?
   My first cache attempt was half harted at best. The location to be searched was on a side road just off Glenn Hazel road called Kilgore road. The cache was called Old Rocky Top Cache, by PAWINGERS . Once I arrived within 300 feet of the cache and saw that the cache was out across a river, I decided to read some of the other cacher's logs. It seemed as though the other geo cacher's lucky enough to have located this cache had had to wade through the river to get to the cache. I scouted around for a bridge of some sort while trying to ignore KC's constant whine. I was not about to unleash him here. There was a near by house with some very vocal dogs. We got back into van after our little scouting mission failed to produce a bridge.
   The second cache attempt was further along Glen Hazel road. The cache location on the St Mary's Jones Town line near some state game lands. I searched for Jones TWP Welcomes You, by j&bs with out KC. I got very close to the cache and dug through the snow. I uncovered logs and stumps. I felt like an impatient archaeologist. Eventually though I conceded defeat once again.
   Third times the charm. I like Haney hill.  There are very nice views on the crest of the hill.  This cache was before the crest though. The cache description indicated a Halloween theme. The coordinates lead me to a well done mock up of a grave sight. On the way to this sight my feet slipped over and along some strange terrain. Upon looking down I noted I uncovered a pumpkin or two. Very kewl. I did not damage the pumpkins but decided to be a little more careful.
   Once I paid my respects at the Grave and admired the wickedly kewl painted tree knot that over looked it. I started looking for the cache proper. I found it quickly. had my children been with me they would have been excited by the swag. I however was enthralled by the haunted drama that surrounded every bit of this cache. In the log book there was even a news paper clipping and a caption explaining that a lot of pumpkins showed up in this area every Halloween for the last 10 years. I love traditions and I look forward to me and my family becoming part of this one.... I signed the log book. Looked around one more time. I needed this cache. It reminded me why I loved this geo caching interest enough o make it a hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment