Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day 108 Yup, It's Up There (GC2A1KD)

 Ha. Ha. I threw the baby. I through the baby off an enormous boulder in the middle of the forest. It landed near Novalee in a crumpled up ball. Novalee looked up at me with adoring eyes. KC, who was racing around the boulder in  worried bewilderment at how his master had risen to such heights stoped near Novalee and sniffed the still baby. The baby was our trophy. Ours to do as we pleased. This is one of the perks of GeoCacheing. The trade. I traded  three items for the baby.  It was worth it to see Novalees adoring smile. I could not climb back down with baby in hand so I tossed it to her.
   The, "Yup, It's Up There" cache, by Stray Poet was aptly named. Niki and I got off to a late start. I've been watching and taking notes on interesting Good Eats shows. I'm studying soup right now. Check out the  like the hat videos http://www.youtube.com/user/LikeTheHat#p/search/7/35HEDof1Jxo. Needless to say this is why we were off to a late start.
   We were heading west on route 6 where their are plenty of caches from my house within 6 miles. Unfortunately after our first failed cacheing attempt at  'Wetmore Springs", we ran into our old snow induced nemesis parking issues. We just could not get close enough to a cache to make it feasable. All out of options we settled on Yup It's Up there. The cache has a 5/5 rating!
    We parked the Van at the Wild Cat Park entrance and started up the hill with great trepidation. KC and I lead the way. I was hoping to scout out the area and find out why it was a 5/5. The cache was a mere 500 feet from where we parked. The terrain did not seem to bad. Nope not at all, that is until I got within 50 feet of the cache, and realized that it was hidden on one of three massive boulders. Yikes!
    As I was scouting around the boulder Niki and Novalee  caught up to me. I looked at the largest of the three boulders and pointed, "It is up there babes." She smiled and looked at me with laughing eyes, "Yup it's Up there" she said. "Yeah, doesn't look like any easy ways up. I'm going to have to climb it." Niki stayed neutral. I could not tell if she thought climbing this massive 15 foot tall snow covered boulder was a good idea or not.  As for me, I thought it was a terrible idea.  That of course did not stop me. I needed the cache for the day. We had steadily run out of time and this was it. I needed the cache and truth be said I love climbing. I through common sense but not caution to the wind found a likely place to start climbing. Got half way up and decided that it was a no go, and came back down.
   Niki called to me. "I think this is a good place to start." I checked it out. She was right of course. Again I got half way up. This time however  I saw a chance. There was a healthy tree above me growing out of the rock. I took KC's leash from my pocket and through the heavy end up and around the base of the tree. I then put the hitch part of the leash through the leashes hand hold createing a sturdy noose around the tree trunk. Ah! Now I had leverage. The rest of the climb was easy. I found the cache quickly. Signed the log. Traded for the Baby Doll and through down to Novalee.  This was a fun and exhilerating cache. Filled with just enough danger to get my blood flowing. I loved it...

1 comment: