Monday, January 31, 2011

Day 1 The Baement.

   Like most basements, mine is a cold, damp, dark place. It is also a plane of heat loss of my house. The walls of my basement are drafty and leaky. There is a lot of work I need to do down there. For now though I will focus on triage and attempt to fix what is needed to warm up the house above.
  There are three problem spots I worked on today.
    The first project was picking up the defunct heating grill. I took up the insolation fome and placed down insilaiton. then zipped everything back together.
    The second was around stone in the wall. I could see a lot of day-light around this stone. I filled in the gaps with a can of "great stuff".  I also notice that a suport joist rests on this stone. I will be supporting this soon. There are two of these joists that need supporting. Not today though. I am working on heat triage.
   The third project was to plug a hole that is in the sill of the house. You see a long time ago before I purchased the house one of the basement walls was knocked out then hastily rebuilt. End result the corner of the building overhangs the celar wall by a lot. I went outside and stuffed isolation in the holes inthe over hang. Then I took the skill saw out and cut a under cover of the sill out of a peice of plywood. I fastened the undercover in place, and realized I should have put plastic underneath. So I put plastic over it and duct taped the edges too the vinal. While working on this project Niki came home early from work. She had a sick Takoda with her. It turns out the school and Niki were unable to get a hold of me. I they must have called while Novalee and i were on our dump run. I felt bad I because i was not there for her. I was also annoyed at Takoda cause he did not look that sick.
   The fourth thing I did was fill the gaps around a basement window.
   The fifth thing I did was cut insulation and start applying between floor joists. Soon it was time to go to work. Work was pretty uneventful. Niki showed up with perogiesand chicken wings. I was pleasantly surprised.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment