Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Day 3 Under Eight Flags (GC11Q3V by Glendorn)

   Wow day three already. I woke up this morning ready to go. Of course that did not stop me from enjoying a fresh cup of coffee first. The house did not carry a chill this morning, not like it did yesterday. So I figured it was not as cold. A glance at the sky through the window promised me rain. No problem I can cope with that. Truth is I like walking in the rain. I quickly found out Niki was coming with. We donned our gear, got our yellow lab/coon-hound dog/mutt KC, and darling daughter Novalee ready and we were off. I fired up my trusty GPS and found that the Under Eight Flags GC was the closest @ .4 miles away. So we were off up Janeway onto Dawson towards Holman. It was on the way to Holman St that Niki commented on the sky clearing up. I looked up to discover she was right. The solid grey cloud cover had been breached by the sun, and his army blue sky. Niki and I smiled at each other. She was telling me she might do a couple loads of laundry. At the intersection of Holman St, and Dawson I had a decision to make, to go up Holman or not to. I knew either way I would make it to my destination. Niki and I had a hunch that the Eight Flags GC was at the VFW, which of course is off of upper Holman St..I glanced down at my gps and decided to stay on Dawson for now, and head over to N. Oak. I am glad I did, there are a couple nice porch fronts decorated for the fall season along that way. I appreciate the people who make that extra effort. Some day I might even become one of them. So Dawson comes to an end. North Oak begins at a 90degree angle heading south towards Fraley St. N. Oak is one of those streets you just can't dress up. The buildings are in good repair but it just seems crowded and frumpy. Houses are too close to each other and the road. At one point the side walk disappears. There is a used car dealership on the corner. So we come to the end of N. Oak where it intersects with Fraley St. I check my gps readings again and decide to head along Fraley to the top end of Holman St.. I know it was sort of a back track, but hey it is not always how quick you get to the cache, it is the journey and ours was going very well.  We cross Fraley as it intersects Holman, and we continue on towards the VFW.  The distance between us and the cache constantly receding. This section of Holman is all up hill. As we walk I see our destination, the VFW, which is nestled between my first place of employment in Kane, and my Second.  Kind of weird, huh? I always look up at Kane Screens with curiosity. Leaving a place of employment is like leaving a family. I always wonder how so and so is doing but I never take the time to find out. Looking at Eagle Bio Diesel I get the feeling of hope. I am part of  a better future, if they take off and soar like their namesake. I can only hope. We have arrived at the VFW. The gps says we are about 30 feet away from the cache... Niki, she is like an arrow guided to her target by some invisible marksman. "I found it." she states. I am amazed, as she describes how she spotted a glimpse of the hidden cache container. Kudos! Novalee and I pose for a few pictures. We walk home retracing our steps, well sorta, as we avoided N. Oak this time and stuck to Holman. Like tourists we snapped more pictures along the way.  By the time we got home the clouds had sealed their breach, and a light rain came down. That is ok though, I like the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment