Sunday, September 26, 2010

Day 1 A Little Known Park (GCQR5Y)

    It was Sunday morning the children were up, their needs were met.  I waited in eager anticipation for this journey to begin.  While waiting I set up the ground work for this blog. I wondered not for the first time since conceiveing my plan to complete 365 caches, or quests in 365 days, if I would finish it. As I have told the children on more then one occasion, lets wait and see, for time tells no lies.  Eventually Niki wakes and comes down stairs. I can here she has come down. Takoda is excited. I fold the top corner of the page of the book I am reading ("Knights of Shadows", Roger Zelazny sooo kewl). I came in side from the porch and bid Niki and the kids farewell.
  My first quest. The journey begins. The sky is a dull silver. The air is cool. The foliage  a strange mix of subdued brilliance. I begin walking GPS in one hand. KCs' leash in the other. My camera is in my back pack. The pooper scooper bag hanging at my side draping over my shoulder chewbaca style. I look at the screen. Pick a near by cache, I have over a thousand such caches programed into my Magellan  Explorist GC. I pick the nearest, it is .3 miles away. Piece of cake. I begin walking check to make sure I am heading in the right direction. I gain a rough Idea as to where the cache is.  I head down Janeway towards Welsh. KC eagerly leading they way, At the bottom of Janeway on the corner of Janeway and Welsh heading up hill towards the Buckhorn sits a blue and white house someone must have bought it for recent maintenance has been done. I walk away down Welsh towards Kinzua Ave. KC stops frequently to water posts and trees. I wonder not for the first time what it is that makes one place more water able than another.. I keep my eyes open. I want to see all the loveliness this season has to offer... I inhale deeply.. I feel the slight chill I look at the silver sky. I will the landscape to become part of me. Fall has a beginning middle and end. This is the beginning. Falls fireworks dance on the limbs of  trees. Fall is as much the death of summer as spring is summers birth. Oh but what a glorious death. Or maybe that is too drastic. It is time for the trees to shed their evening gowns in a mad dance with the wind, then to rest the winter in quiet slumber in winters embrace. There is a poem in there somewhere but I have yet to find the words. I continue my journey satisfied with my thoughts. I am in a happy place. Shaw intersects with Kinzua, I take Kinzua, Cross Hacker and continue onto Kinzua. I quick look at the gps confirms my suspicion that I have arrived. I quickly find the hidden cache. I am not ready to look inside yet. I want to take a look around.
   This is a pleasant place. A good picnic spot.  The area is filled with blue flowers bordering dark wood. A well trimmed meadow. Trees that reach high for silver skies. Benches tables and out door grills. KC growls at the shadows in the wood. I here the towns pulse with the swish of cars cutting air.
   KC and I spend a while here. I take pictures. Go back to the cache, which was in an ammo box. I log my visit in the log book, and then we slowly meander back home...

No comments:

Post a Comment