Friday, November 19, 2010

Day 55 You can lead a horse to water... (GC2EK56)

    You can lead a horse to water... by Wegotthis was a tricky little cache. The description of the cache promised a traditional ammo box. I got to laugh. It was an ammo box but it was anything but traditional. Novalee, and KC was with me. Niki was at work. I miss her company. As much as I love to watch KC run, and I like to listen to Novalee ramble on with song and voice. It is Niki whose company I enjoy the most.
   This cache is on a trail off from route 6. The ANF-7 trail. I've been here before. We have found  a few caches in the area so we were in familiear territory. I let KC run. Novalee dragged her feet. I could tell that she was in a mood. Not a good one at that. She dawdled in the snow. Yes it snowed last night, just a dusting really. Novalee was fascinated by the little bit of snow she saw. KC clipped into her. He was checking on Novalee but it was startling enough to get her crying. She fussed a bit then relaxed. "I'm playing in the snow." she said. "Oh, Yeah?" I asked. She rambled on about it. Our trail branched off to the right. I took it. The GPS seemed to agree I should. We walked a bit and ended up near someones back yard. Sigh. We back tracked. Headed back up the trail from where it branched off. Once an track again the trail was intersected by a dirt road. We went right on this road. After seeing a couple of snownobile signs, I realized this was possibly part of the snowmobile trail network that runs all throught the Alegheny National forest. We walked this trek for about .4 of mile. Novalee complained of the cold. I would changed the subject to something more pleasant. She was not biting though. It was not really cold. In fact it was colder yesterday, and she did fine. It was even raining then. She was definately off today. We trudged on at her slow pace. The forest was beautiful. The snow lightly covering the ground pine, and the delicately arking cherry trees. The sky was mottled white and blue. Before long we reached the cache destination. We were very close to a watering troth built of stone. It was a very neat sight out here in the middle of the woods. KC excitedly climbed right into it. I should have known he had found the cache. A half hour later I had found it. In a traditional ammo box the size of a pocket pack of matches. LOL... I never seen one this small. It even had a bullet in it. Nice touch, that. It was then that Novalee got real upset. She was crying now. Big crockadile tears. "I want to go home!", and "I want momma." , and I can't take this any more." She was throwing out the dramma while I was trying to figure out how to sign the log book.. I left my pen and my most of my gear behind. I ended up using the bullet to sign the log book. Then I told Novalee we were going back home. I started walking knowing she would follow. She cried a bit. I was giving her a little bit of tough love. After about a minute. I waited for her. She caught up. I promised her I would put her on my shoulders when we got to the rough trail that led to this snowmobile trail. This did not chear her up. "I don't carry crying girls." I told her. I held her hand and she walked with me crying. I asked her to sing me a song. She declined. Then I begain singing Old Mcdonald had a farm. Novalee soon forgot her troubles, and began to sing along. By the time we got to the rough trail and several songs later we were both in good spirits. I hoisted her onto my shoulders. Shortly there after we were at the car. It was kind of a nice trip troubles and all. We went home to hot chocolate and some nice dog movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment